Australia tourist information on accommodation, tours, cheap flights and car hire. Accommodation | International Flights | Domestic Flights | Tours | Travel Insurance | Car Hire | Visas | Shopping | Dating | Humour
follow Amazing Australia on Facebook

Visas for Australia

Australia offers a wide range of visas, from short term tourist visas to student visas, partnervisas, working holiday visas and long term work visas.
If you are thinking of working in Australia see our 'Working in Australia' page or read below about the different types of Australian visas and the requirements you need to meet.
Nowadays there is no longer any need to travel to visa offices, in most cases you can apply for all Australian visas online through the website of the Australian Immigration Department.

Apply for Australian visas online with the immi-account

Since December 2013 visa applications are made easier with the new immi-account.
Anyone can open an account, and then you can apply for visas, pay online with credit card, upload your documents, check on progress, receive status update alerts etc.


This visa is for is for people want to come to Australia for a short holiday as a tourist.
An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian diplomatic office to submit an application. You can submit applications online and in most cases your ETA Visa will be approved within 24 hours.

When you arrive at an airport for check-in on a flight to Australia, the airline check-in staff can electronically confirm that you have authority to board the flight to Australia.

You are only eligible to apply for an ETA while you are outside of Australia.
Travellers holding the following passports can apply for an ETA online:

* Andorra
* Austria
* Belgium
* Brunei
* Canada
* Denmark
* Finland
* France
* Germany
* Greece
* Hong Kong SAR

* Iceland
* Ireland
* Italy
* Japan
* Liechtenstein
* Luxembourg
* Malaysia
* Malta
* Monaco
* Netherlands
* Norway

* Portugal
* San Marino
* Singapore
* South Korea
* Spain
* Sweden
* Switzerland
* United Kingdom

The conditions on a Visitor ETA are:

* It is valid for visits to Australia for tourism or to visit friends or relatives;
* It is valid for multiple visits within 12 months from date of issue;
* The maximum length of each visit is three months; and
* You may not work while in Australia.


This visa is for people that have family member resident in Australia and want to come to Australia for a short holiday.

You must meet the following requirements to qualify for this visa:

* Have sufficient funds to cover the trip;
* Have an “incentive to return”;
* Meet character requirements;
* Meet health requirements.

The following conditions apply to this visa:
* You cannot work in Australia;
* Maximum 3 months study.


Business ETA (Subclass 977) Visa - is for people want to come to Australia for a short period for business meetings, conventions, conferences; or a short term project requiring a high level of skill and are able to be granted an online electronic visa.

Business Short Stay (Subclass 456) Visa - is for people want to come to Australia for a short period for business meetings, conventions, conferences; or a short term project requiring a high level of skill.


The Skilled Migration Program is an initiative to help to overcome skill shortages within the Australian workforce and to identify individuals who can bring valuable economic benefits to the Australian economy.

If you are a skilled professional, trades person or student graduating from an Australian university, you may qualify for a skilled visa.

Skilled Independent Visa - is for people who meet the required points score relying on their own skill, education and employability to satisfy the visa criteria.

Skilled Sponsored (Australian Relative) Visa- is for people who have a family member (eg. parent, non-dependent child, brother, sister, aunt or uncle) who is willing to sponsor you.

Skilled Regional Sponsored (Australian Relative) Visa - is for people who have a family member (eg. parent, non-dependent child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, first cousin or grandparent) who is willing to sponsor you. The sponsor must be living in a regional, rural or low population growth area of Australia.

Skilled Sponsored (State / Territory) Visa - is for people who can be sponsored by an individual Australian State or Territory Government. The visa addresses very high skill shortages in particular regions of Australia.

Skilled Regional Sponsored (State / Territory) Visa - is for people who want to live in a regional area of Australia and can be sponsored by an individual Australian State or Territory Government. The visa addresses very high skill shortages in regional areas of Australia.

Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa - is for people who have completed highly regarded international studies related to an industry that the Australian Government deems has very high skills shortages in Australia.

Skilled Overseas Student Visa - is for overseas students currently studying (or just completed studying) in Australia that want to remain in Australia.

There are other types of Skilled Visas available to people that have not been detailed on the National Visas web site as not many people qualify for the other Skilled Visas. If you would like more information Skilled Visas please contact National Visas.


If you are married, engaged to (fiance), or in a de facto (common law) relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident may be eligible for a Partner Visa.

Spouse (Subclass 820/309) Visa - is for people who are married to an Australian citizen, permanent resident.

De Facto (Subclass 820/309) Visa - is for people who are in a common law relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident.

Fiance - Prospective Spouse (Subclass 300) Visa - is for a fiance who is engaged to an Australian citizen, permanent resident.

Your Ultimate Guide to Permanent Residency in Australia

sydney australia

In Australia, permanent residency signifies the right to live, work, and study indefinitely. Securing Australian PR is highly sought after due to its advantages, including access to healthcare, social security, and the opportunity to apply for citizenship. This status provides stability and opens up many opportunities for individuals looking to establish themselves in Australia for the long term.
To assist you in achieving this privilege of permanent residency, we have meticulously created a comprehensive guide for you.

Pathways to Australian Permanent Residency

When considering pathways to Australian Permanent Residency, individuals can pursue different avenues based on their circumstances and goals. Three common ways of becoming a permanent resident include:

- Family-Stream Permanent Visa - This option is suitable for partners, children, parents, or dependent relatives of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens, as well as carers needing to provide long-term care for approved relatives.
- Work-Stream Permanent Visa - Designed for workers sponsored by Australian employers or those with skills valued in Australia, this pathway offers permanent residency for skilled professionals.
- Business or Investor-Stream Permanent Visa - Geared towards individuals involved in business or investment activities, this visa stream caters to those seeking permanent residency through entrepreneurial ventures or investment opportunities.

When considering pathways to Australian Permanent Residency, it is fair to say that it is 100% worthwhile going through an Australian migration agent for all of these avenues. The process of obtaining permanent residency can be intricate, especially for individuals without experience dealing with visas. An experienced migration agent can provide invaluable guidance, streamline the application process, and ensure compliance with all requirements.

Eligibility Criteria for Permanent Residency

In pursuing permanent residency in Australia, meeting specific guidelines is crucial for eligibility. Applicants must consider age requirements, with different visa subclasses having designated age brackets to adhere to.
Additionally, undergoing skill assessments aligned with occupations on the in-demand lists is essential. A key aspect is demonstrating English proficiency through recognised language tests like IELTS or PTE.
Besides these, qualifying for Australian permanent residency requires achieving a minimum score on the points system, typically around 65 points. Following these guidelines diligently enhances the chances of a successful application.

Application Process for Australian PR

In the application process for Australian Permanent Residency, several key steps must be followed to navigate through the requirements successfully:

1 - Expression of Interest (EOI) Submission - Applicants initiate the process by submitting an EOI detailing their skills, qualifications, and interest in obtaining permanent residency.
2 - Invitation to Apply - Upon meeting the eligibility criteria, applicants may receive an invitation to apply for a specific visa subclass.
3 - Document Preparation and Submission - This stage involves gathering and organising necessary documents, such as identification papers, employment records, and educational certificates, to support the application.
4 - Health and Character Requirements - Applicants must undergo health examinations to meet Australia's health standards. Additionally, demonstrating good character through police clearances and related documentation is essential for the application process.

Benefits of Australian Permanent Residency

Australian Permanent Residency presents a range of advantages for individuals seeking to establish themselves in the country. Holders of Permanent Residency enjoy unrestricted work and study rights, providing opportunities for career progression and educational pursuits. Access to Australia's healthcare system, Medicare, ensures affordable healthcare services and eligibility for social security benefits.
Moreover, Permanent Residency sets individuals on the path towards Australian citizenship, allowing full integration into Australian society with rights such as voting and eligibility for public office. These combined benefits contribute to the stability, security, and growth opportunities associated with obtaining an Australian Permanent Residency.

Maintaining Permanent Residency Status

Once individuals obtain Australian Permanent Residency, maintaining this status requires adherence to certain responsibilities and obligations. Residency requirements necessitate that residents meet specified criteria, such as residing in Australia for a certain period and demonstrating ongoing ties to the country.
Additionally, individuals must fulfil travel obligations, ensuring they do not spend extended periods outside of Australia to maintain their Permanent Residency status. Understanding renewal procedures and citizenship options is crucial for those looking to solidify their status in Australia.
Staying informed about renewal processes and exploring pathways to Australian citizenship allows Permanent Residents to proactively manage their residency status and enjoy the long-term benefits and opportunities of establishing themselves in the country.

Tips for a Successful PR Application

Several key tips should be considered to increase the likelihood of a successful Australian Permanent Residency application. Seeking professional assistance from migration agents can offer valuable guidance throughout the process. It's also crucial to meticulously organise and prepare all required documents to ensure a comprehensive application.
Most importantly, meeting deadlines and strictly adhering to the Department of Home Affairs guidelines demonstrate attention to detail and respect for the application process. By following these tips diligently, applicants can navigate the complexities of the PR application process effectively, enhancing their chances of securing an Australian Permanent Residency.


Pursuing an Australian Permanent Residency offers many benefits and opportunities for individuals seeking to establish themselves in the country. For further information and assistance on the application process and requirements, valuable resources such as migration agencies, government websites, and legal counsel can provide guidance and support throughout the journey towards obtaining a Permanent Residency in Australia.



New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (461) Visa - this visa allows non-New Zealand citizens to travel to and live in Australia with a New Zealand citizen family member.


The Working Holiday Visa gives young people the opportunity to travel around Australia over a 12 month period, with the option of part-time or casual employment.

Working Holiday (Subclass 417 / 462) Visa - is for young people wanting to spend 12 months travelling around Australia, with the option of part-time or casual employment.
You can check online job portals to see what positions are available and find temporary employment while on your working holiday.
If you spend a certain amount of time in remote areas on farms then you might be eligible for a second 12 month visa, normally you can only get this visa once.



English Language Course (ELICOS) (Subclass 570) Visa - is for applicants wanting to complete an English Language course.

School Sector (Subclass 571) Visa - is for applicants wanting to complete a course of study at primary and secondary schools.

Vocational Education and Training Sector (Subclass 572) Visa - is for applicants wanting to study Certificate I, II, III, IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Advanced Certificates.

Higher Education Sector (Subclass 573) Visa - is for applicants wanting to study a Bachelors Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diplomas and Masters by coursework.

Masters and Doctorate Sector (Subclass 574) Visa - is for applicants wanting to study a Masters by research and Doctoral Degrees.

Skilled Overseas Student (Subclasses 880, 881 and 882) Visa - many students that complete a course of study in Australia may be able apply onshore for Australian Permanent Residency under the Skilled Migration Program.


To be eligible for Parent Migration Program you must pass the "balance of family" test. In addition, you must be sponsored by your child who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Parent (Subclass 103) Visa - is suitable for a person outside Australia who meets the balance of family test.

Aged Parent (Subclass 804) Visa - is suitable for a person in Australia who is old enough to be granted an Australian aged pension and who meets the balance of the family test.

Contributory Parent (Subclass 143) Visa - is suitable for a person who meets the balance of the family test and is willing to contribute an extra application fee to cover health costs.


Employer Sponsored Visas are for employers who cannot fill a position with an Australian worker or by training Australian workers.
The Employer Sponsored Visa could be for you if you have an employer willing to sponsor you to live and work in Australia.


Business Sponsored Temporary 457 (Subclass 457) Visa - is available to people who have an offer of sponsorship from a business and are able to work in Australia for a period of up to four years. You need to work in a skilled occupation approved by the government as stated in this list. There are also language, health and character requirements. You must also have and maintain adequate health insurance. A list of these providers are shown on 457 Visa Compared.


ENS Sponsored Permanent (Subclass 121/ 856) Visa - enables highly skilled people to be employed by Australian businesses in specific full time positions that cannot be filled by Australian workers or by training Australian workers.


The Business Visa Program encourages successful business people to establish or develop a business in Australia. The system allows business people to be initially granted a Temporary Visa for up to four years. When you have established the required level of business or maintained investment activities, you are then entitled to apply for Permanent Residence.

If you need to visit Australia for business purposes for a period of less than 3 months the Business Visitor Visa is what you require.

Business Temporary Visas

Business Owner (Subclass 160 or 163) Visa - is for successful business owners with a legitimate interest in establishing and managing a business in Australia.

Senior Executive (Subclass 161 or 164) Visa - is for successful Executives/Managers of major businesses who intend to participate, either as a substantial owner, or in managing a new or existing business in Australia.

Investor (Subclass 162 or 165) Visa - is for experienced business investors willing to make a substantial capital investment into an Australian Government approved business activity in Australia.

Business Permanent Visa

Established Business Owner (Subclass 845) Visa -is for Temporary Visa holders who are owners / part owners in an established and successful business in Australia.


Hutt River Province Visa

map of australia

If you plan to visit Prince Leonard's Hutt River Province you can get your visa either at the Geraldton Tourist Information or be issued a visa on arrival in the province.

Health in Australia

Australia is a pretty safe country and vaccinations are not required, it is free of malaria (pretty amazing as we are surrounded by countries that have it) and there is only the odd case of Denghy Fever or Ross River Fever, for which there is no vaccination anyway.
The main things that could damage your health are sunexposure, dehydration, swimming in unsafe places or accidents by not sticking to the road rules (like not driving on the left hand side of the road).
All of these are in your own control so be wise and survive, read our page on survival tips for more info...

You know of any info that we missed or would you like to advertise on this page ? Then contact us!

Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the User Agreement for this website
Contact us | Advertise on this site | Link to this site |Add your photos or stories to this site | Webmasters | Affiliates